As of Monday, September 23, 2013, UHKCC transitioned to a new wireless network infrastructure. If you have an active UH ID, we have instructions available how to access the system.
The Online Request Forms will be offline starting this Friday, June 28 at 5:00pm till Monday, July 1 at 8:00am. We will be backing it up and also upgrading it. If everything runs smoothly, they might be up the earliest by late Friday night or early Saturday morning. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
What are YOU doing March 1st?
Friday, March 1, is a non-instructional day for students. But it will be a very instructional day for faculty and staff. Get ready to stretch your body and your mind.
There are plans for comprehensive planning sessions across departments. Those who may not need to attend these meetings may enroll in some of the following workshops and training sessions. Space is limited so register soon! The Library and Testing Center will be closing at noon on March 1 so that all staff can participate in tactical planning in the afternoon.
Lunch is free for faculty and staff who participate in any of these events. Make sure you sign in with the coordinator of the event. If you buy your own lunch, please pay cash, put your name on the back of the receipt, and send it to Louise Pagotto. You will be reimbursed up to $10/person.
There is a Foundations Committee Members Meeting at 12:30pm in ‘Ilima 202C.
Comprehensive Planning Schedule
- BLT Schedule
- Nursing :: 9:00am to 3:00pm in Kopiko 241 & 242
- Library and Learning Resources :: 12:00pm – 4:00pm
Workshops, Training & Seminars
- Morning Yoga :: Maile 101
Space is filling up! Shelly Spence is a yoga instructor and practices at Core Power Yoga. She will be leading a yoga classfor all levels on Friday, March 1st at 8:30. Class will be 30 minutes long. A yoga mat is required for participation in this class. Wear comfortable clothing, no shoes are required. Plan on arriving by 8:15 at Maile 101. Sign up. Download and bring completed waiver form to class
- Transparent Grading :: 9:15am – 12:00pm :: Olona 208. You are invited to join your colleagues for a preview of a national movement to adapt traditional grading practices to more clearly reflect the connections between your class assignments and course competencies. Please RSVP to Tanya Renner
- Safe Zone Allies Workshop :: 9:30am – 12:00pm :: Manele 102. The goal of this workshop is to provide basic information about sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, especially as it relates to Kapiolani students, faculty and staff. Topics addressed include an overview of relevant terminology, the coming out process, and how to be an ally for someone who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex or queer (LGBTIQ). Participants at this training session will have an opportunity to make a personal commitment to becoming a Kapiolani Safe Zone Ally – however, becoming an ally is not a requirement of this workshop. Attendance at this workshop is a prerequisite for eligibility to attend additional Safe Zone trainings. Sign up at http://tinyurl.com/KapiolaniSafeZone
- Safe Zone Trainer’s Training :: 12:30pm – 4:00 pm :: Manele 102. Prerequisite: Completion of Safe Zone Allies Workshop since spring 2012. The goal of this training is to further develop Safe Zone allies’ skills and comfort levels of LGBTIQ topics and become a campus Safe Zone Trainer. Topics addressed in this training include understanding the allies workshop training manual, becoming an active campus advocate for for LGBTIQ individuals, and having a broader understanding of gender identity and expression, both as they relate to University policy and to the lived experiences of LGBTIQ individuals. Attendance of the morning Safe Zone Allies workshop fulfills the prerequisite for this training. Sign up at http://tinyurl.com/KapiolaniSafeZone
- iPads in Education Workshop :: 8:00am – 10:00am for beginners; 10:00am – 12:00pm for advanced :: Iliahi 105
The iPad Enthusiasts C4ward will sponsor an iPad overview presented by the Apple Education Representative Nani Daniels. Nani will focus on integrating the iPad in instructional and learning practices.8:00am – 10:00am (coffee will be provided): Beginners
10:00am – 12:00pm (fruit and cookies will be provided): Advanced
- 8:00am – 9:00am: Take a Tour of the iPad! settings; keyboard tips; notebook; maps; camera; how to download and organize apps; basic apps for education; iTunesU
- 9:00am – 10:00am : Productivity! managing mail and calendar functions; notetaking; dictatio; basic app sharing
- 10:00am – 11:00am: Show and Explore! big picture visions with iBooks, iTunesU, and iTunes course manager
- 11:00am – 12:00pm: App Sharing interactive applications with students
Open to all faculty and staff. No need to sign up; just come. Contact/Concierge: Krista Hiser (email@example.com).
- Hands-On Kukui/ePortfolio Workshop :: 11:00am – 12:00pm :: Kalia 109
The ePortfolios for Educating Students, Professional Practice and/or Personal Use C4ward invites you to a session introducing Kukui, the new Kapi’olani CC ePortfolio (and more) system. There will be a brief show & tell followed by a hands-on workshop. There will be desktop computers for attendees, but you’re also welcome to bring your own laptop. Open to all faculty and staff. No need to sign up; just come. Contact/Concierge: Susan Inouye (Inouye@hawaii.edu).
- Creative Writing Workshop :: 2:00pm – 4:00pm :: Kalia 201
The KCC Creative Writers C4ward will hold a creative writing workshop session at which members can share their creative work and get feedback. This session is for current members of the C4ward. Contact Ann if you’re interested in joining this C4ward. Contact/Concierge: Ann Inoshita (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- CE Pricing Workshop :: Time: 2 – 3pm :: Manono 104
Workshop revolving around a pricing template, costs and price breaks. Please attend and share numbers with each other. Contact/Concierge: John Santamaria (email@example.com)
- Jewelry-Making Workshop :: 1:00pm – 3:00pm :: Iliahi 103
The Jewelry Creations C4ward invites you to try your hand at crafting some original and beautiful jewelry. We’ll show you some basic wire-working techniques that you can use to create a lovely piece. If you have tools and/or supplies, please bring them, but no tools or supplies are required–we’re happy to share. Open to all staff and faculty. No need to sign up; just come. Contact/Concierge: Karmi Minor-Flores (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Workshops on Hybrid Classes :: 1pm – 2pm :: Kalia 104
Thinking about teaching your class in a hybrid format? Join Amy Patz Yamashiro in a short discussion about ideas and tactics for teaching a hybrid class. Amy teaches Zoology 141 in a hybrid format and utilizes problem-based learning strategies.
- Uncooking 101 :: 1pm – 3 p.m. :: Kalia 103
Raw foods are more than carrot sticks with your salad! Are you curious about eating more raw foods? After lunch, come to the Kalia “kitchen” for recipes / samples of smoothies, nut milks, patés, and ovenless dessert treats.
“How I Spent My Weekend…Highlights and Lowlights of the Hawaii Strategic Institute”:: 10:00-11:30 am :: Manele 103An informal discussion of some of the things we came away with from attending last weekend’s conference. We will discuss a few simple (but important) things that might help faculty better connect with Hawaiian students. Also, plans for a new college level mathematics course with a Hawaiian cultural component will be revealed. Moderated by Iwalani Tasaka and Andrew Pak.